Tuesday, September 21, 2010

7 Worst Pizzas in America

7 Worst Pizzas in America

The article available via the above link is interesting. However, it does not take into consideration that the "Worst Pizzas" are not only the worst because of their caloric, fat and/or salt content, but also because the majority of these products contain soy. I find it even more frustrating that just about every frozen pizza does, even ones that carry claims of being "healthy" in their brand name and/or labeling. Fortunately, there are alternatives, since I find that making pizza dough, or any dough for that matter, from scratch is difficult and time consuming. One only needs to search the internet to find pizza dough products that are "soy-free". Many of these product's websites will provide information on local organic or health food stores that carry their products.

I recently read a very disturbing statistic on the website of a connection of mine whom I have mentioned previously in this blog, Dianne Gregg, the author of "The Hidden Dangers of Soy". The statistic was that 80 to 90 percent of U.S. planted soybeans are genetically modified. So, what do you think the odds are that the soy in these frozen pizza products is genetically modified as well? I would say the odds are pretty high that it is. Of course, they do not have to say so in their labeling in the U.S. and that is only one of the many reasons that I try to avoid soy.

I also avoid soy, due to the phytoestrogens that it contains. When my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer 20 years ago, her oncologist told her to avoid soy, because her cancer was the type that feeds on estrogen; better safe than sorry. After 6 months of chemotherapy and a mastectomy, my mother has been a cancer survivor for 20 years now, thank God (and I mean that literally)! That was really my wake up call about soy and the more I learn about it, the more I say "no thank you".

I hope you found this information helpful, as living without pizza is a place this half Italian gal would rather not go.

Here's to your health and to pizza,

Andrea B.

No comments:

Post a Comment